History of the island
Fourni in the old days were called CORSAIR islands. By the Hellenistic Era, the philosopher Porfirios called them CORSEAS, a name which is carried out until today.
By the years of Turkish conquerors, we find them in maps as ‘FORNELLI’, MELANTHI, FORTIOLE and COURSI. The name Fourni was given later. Historical and logical hypothesis drives to the conclusion that in any possibility, the first abiders of the island were Milisius (Ioans), as also that in Old, Classic and Hellenistic Eras, there must have been a considerable dorp.
The fist years of the Easter Time and in the Middle Age, Fourni were deserted and became one of the greater bases of pirates who infested Aegean Sea.Fourni were re-abided in 1770 a.c.. The first abider was from Patmos. They were under Turkish command from which they were released totally on July 1912 when the Ikarian revolution took place.
The November of the same year they were united with Greece together with Ikaria island.
At St George’s hill beyond the village, extends huge, cyclopean wall of a prehistoric castle with hammer dressed stones, which volume amazes. On the foundations of the very old castle were built a castle of Classical Era which consisted the Acropolis of Fourni. Inside the castle there was a temple. The perimeter of the outer wall, which was built at the spots where the sheer hill allowed the access, was about 300 meters. The stone made stairway was probably leaded at the entrance of the castle. A few meters above, there is a hammer – dressed rock, round, which was a base for a statue. On stones scriptures had been saved, on which it is written about the Gods of Samothraki island and for the holder of acropolis. On a built-in stone, there is a dedication to God Hermes.
The Romaine Sarcophagous, which is set up today at the square of the modern settlement of Fourni, was found at the building ground “Grammatikou”, at the “chora” of Fourni after an application of the owner for an excavation research. The sarcofagous, which was almost parallel to the dry wall and decorated with sculpture figurate coroners and circles.
The sarcophagous is the same with two others which are find at the collection of Campus Ikaria, of the ancient Inois. It is Alexandrian type and has figured flower tentacles with leaves of supple jack and rosettes. As during the excavation, the sarcophagous was found to be stepped on squarely pendentives, it is conjectured that it must had been founded at it’s place and that at the area around must be the romaine cemetery.
The Kamari, which is located at the west side of the island, ought it’s name to a destroyed semi cylindrical vault.
At this area, a settlement of antiquity had been found. Rubble of buildings expands from the slope of the low hill to the sea and they carries out inside the sea. Inside the shallow water shines squarely rooms and the contour of an earthenware jar. The walls are built by stones. At the hill, at the precinct of Archangel’s church, there are barred columns of granite, limestone and ashy colored veined marbles as also squared marble slating with cog. Visible are the signs of surreptitious excavations of tubes among the bushy shrubs which are covering the hill.
At the cove of a small bay at "Petrokopio", an ancient quarry was found. At many spots of the hill, the signs of ancient quarrying were obvious, while the entire hill from the quarry of Petrokopio to the coast was covered by gravel and big pieces of marble. Archaeologists ensure that from these marbles Ancient Militos was built. By their removal, very interesting semi work parts were discovered: vertebras of columns. It is about a very important archaeological spot. A second ancient quarry exists also at the area “Tsigganario”.